In response to California's historic drought and a goal to meet a 10-13% savings locally, Desert Water Agency has water use restrictions in place.
Those observed violating these restrictions will be subject to fines.
The following restrictions are currently in effect in Desert Water Agency's service area:
- All outdoor irrigation is allowed ONLY Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays (with Saturday and Sunday added through 10/31/16) before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m.
- Agency customers are encouraged not to empty and refill swimming pools from June 1 through October 31 unless necessary to address a health or safety emergency.
- The use of potable water to irrigate turf within the dedicated right of way on either side of a public street, shall be prohibited.
- Restaurants may provide water to customers only upon request.
- Hotels and motels shall provide guests with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily. Each hotel or motel shall prominently display notice of this option in each bathroom, using clear and easily understood language.
- The use of potable water outside of newly constructed homes and buildings that is not delivered by drip or micro-spray systems shall be prohibited.
- A commercial, industrial or institutional customer may implement an alternative water use reduction plan that achieves reductions in water use equivalent to those expected from the restrictions prescribed herein, if approved in advance by the General Manager.
The following restrictions are permanent for ALL of California:
- Washing of hard surfaced exteriors, such as driveways, parking lots, walkways and other hardscapes, shall be prohibited unless for public health or safety.
- Causing runoff such that water flows onto adjacent property, non-irrigated areas, private and public walkways, roadways, parking lots, or structures shall be prohibited.
- The application of water to outdoor landscapes during and up to 48 hours after measurable rainfall is prohibited.
- The use of potable water to irrigate ornamental turf within street medians shall be prohibited.
- The use of running water to wash vehicles shall be prohibited. The use of buckets and stop nozzles on hoses, for rinsing only, shall be permitted.
- The use of non-recirculating fountains or other decorative water features is prohibited.