Commercial - How to read your meter
Use your water meter as a leak detector
Most of our meters are located in a rectangular concrete meter box at the curb or sidewalk in front of a customer's home or business. To use your water meter as a leak detector, just follow these steps:
- Insure no water is running either inside or outside of your home.
- Lift the lid off of the meter box (a screwdriver inserted into the small square hole in the meter box lid will work as a "handle").
- Once the meter box lid has been removed, lift the round cap up from the face of the meter.
- Check the indicator (see diagram at left). If it is slowly spinning and you know there is no water running in your home or outside, you may have a leak on your property.
- If you do suspect you have a leak, speedy repairs will save both money and water.